If you need to search for a book that is not in the MBTS Library print or e-book collections, you can submit an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request. These are the available options:
MOBIUS/Prospector Catalogs-- Search these catalogs to request any available book to be picked up at the MBTS Library or most other MOBIUS libraries. This is a free service for MBTS students, staff, and faculty. More details below.
WORLDCAT Catalog--Search this database, which is part of the OCLC FirstSearch service, to find books located in libraries throughout the U.S. and the world. Books requested through this database are sent to the MBTS Library for pickup. On rare occasions, there will be a shipping charge if approved by the person requesting the book. More details below.
GUEST Patrons--In addition to obtaining books through the MBTS Library Interlibrary Loan service, MBTS students and faculty may also visit other MOBIUS libraries and borrow their books using their MBTS ID card. List of Kansas City area MOBIUS libraries
Requesting Items from the Kansas City cluster, MOBIUS, and Prospector Catalogs:
1. If an item is not found in the MBTS online catalog, check the Kansas City, MOBIUS, and Prospector catalogs. Only items NOT available at Midwestern Library may be requested for pickup at MBTS.
2. If the item is found in another library, check the status. An item that is AVAILABLE may be requested with no delay in delivery. If an item is checked out, a Date Due is shown. A request may still be made on that item, which will place a Hold on it. This prevents the current user from renewing it and alerts you when it is returned. An item with a status of LIB USE ONLY or MISSING cannot be requested.
3. Select the Request button. If using the MOBIUS catalog, after selecting Request this item, you will be asked to select a cluster.Select Kansas City. If searching the Kansas City cluster catalog only, selecting the cluster is not necessary.
4. Follow the screen prompts. You will need to enter your name as it appears on your ID card, as well as your full Campus ID #. If you need help with your Campus ID#, contact the Circulation desk at the MBTS Library.
5. Select the desired Pickup location and Submit. For MOBIUS requests, you will need to select a Pickup cluster (it will default to Kansas City) as well as the Pickup location.
6. Check email for notification that requests have arrived at MBTS. Students may logon to their library accounts to see the status of requests.
7. Although most MBTS students will wish to pick up Kansas City/MOBIUS requests at the MBTS Library, it is also possible to pickup requests from any other Kansas City/MOBIUS/Prospector library by selecting another pickup location. If you choose to pick up at a Colorado library, however, you must request using your local public/academic library information.
8. If you live outside the Kansas City area, you may select another Pickup cluster when making a MOBIUS request. For instance, if you live near Bolivar, Missouri, you may select SWAN as the Pickup Cluster and select the SBU Bolivar library as your pickup location. The book you requested will be sent to the library at the main campus of SBU. This service is referred to in the MOBIUS system as PUA (Pick Up Anywhere). Ask the MBTS Library for more information.
9. If the Kansas City/MOBIUS search is unsatisfactory, go to WorldCat, accessed from the Web based Databases page on the MBTS Library website. Please be aware that items requested via WorldCat usually take longer to arrive than Kansas City/MOBIUS items.
10. Please contact the Reference Librarian for more help finding the resources you need.
Doctoral students, long distance students, and other students needing additional assistance with ILL may contact: JHOWIE@MBTS.EDU or call (816) 414-372
MOBIUS Libraries in the Kansas City Area
MBTS students and faculty may visit any MOBIUS library and use their ID/Library card to check out items. Items may also be requested using the MBTS online catalog or the MOBIUS catalog. They will be delivered to the MBTS Library or to any other MOBIUS library you choose for pickup.
The MOBIUS libraries in the Kansas City area are the following:
11901 Wornal Rd, Kansas City, MO 64145. (816) 501-3621
4538 Warwick Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64111. (816) 802-3390
20301 E 78 Highway, Independence, MO 64057. (816) 604-6642
1775 Universal Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64120. (816) 604-5296
500 SW Longview Rd, Lee’s Summit, MO 64081. (816) 604-2080
2601 NE Barry Rd, Kansas City, MO 64156. (816) 604-3080
3201 SW Trafficway, Kansas City, MO 64111. (816) 604-4080
1700 E Meyer Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64131. (816) 333-6254.
8700 NW River Park Rd, Parkville, MO 64152. (816) 584-6285.
1100 Rockhurst Rd, Kansas City, MO 64110. (816) 501-4142
5123 Truman Rd, Kansas City, MO 64127. (816) 245-4856
5100 Rockhill Rd, Kansas City, MO. 64110. (816) 235-1526
500 College Hill, Liberty, MO 64068. (816) 415-7609
Other Interlibrary Loans (ILL)
Books and journal articles not owned by the MBTS Library often may be borrowed through the Library's Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. Requests may be submitted by e-mail or by using the ILL feature available on the WorldCat or JOSHUA database. Because libraries from outside the state of Missouri are included in Worldcat, they usually take longer to arrive at MBTS. Students must go to the MBTS Library Circulation Desk to pick up requested items. Requests for books should include as much bibliographic information as possible, such as author, title, edition, publisher, and date, and for articles, author, titles of article and journal, volume, issue number, page numbers, and date. No more than 10 books and 10 photocopies per individual may be requested per week. For special situations contact the Reference Librarian.
If the ILL request is for an item owned by MBTS Library, or if there would be a cost involved in borrowing, you will be contacted by the Library via e-mail. We will also e-mail you when your ILL request arrives at the Library. Often the owning library will send a digital copy of a journal article via an e-mail attachment, which is then forwarded to your MBTS student e-mail address. For special interlibrary loan services to long distance students, please see the section Distance Education Services
To request a book on Worldcat
DISTANCE STUDENTS- Although you may live too far away to use the MBTS Library Worldcat Interlibrary Loan service, many public libraries make this same service available to their patrons. We strongly suggest your local public library to inquire about ILL services available to you.